Image Map

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

it's choreography...

This time of year makes me very excited for my favorite movie of all time.  White Christmas.   I'm reminded of the scene with Danny Kaye, it's called Choreography, and he sings and dances about how "chaps, doing taps aren't tapping anymore they're doing choreography".  

Us dancers know that Choreography isn't a type of dance, but a bunch of dance moves thrown together in a particular order.   Last night in my dance class I started a "choreography" for St Patrick's Day and recital performances.   Those of you who are familiar with Irish dancing know that these can be REALLY cool, and are often done in competition :)   I was inspired by John Kerry, who shows off some of his choreography making skills in the movie JIG (the Irish Dance documentary).  

After my dancers stopped looking at me like I had two heads, they really started getting into it.  I was, of course, acting like a crazy person shouting "1, 2, ready go ARMS UP, AND DOWN.  NO don't bend over! Ok now back to our beginning spots.. hurry up - let's GO! Now, when you get to this spot I want SHARP ARMS like Cheerleaders. BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM! ... "

 Turned out being their favorite part of class... Now if only I could continue to think of COOL things to do...

Must...get...on...youtube...immediately!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment