Image Map

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

how to... color block?

 Photo via nufashionlover.blogspot.com
Photo via makeupandbeauty.com
Color Blocking; what is it?  How do I do it? Where can I rock it? 

These are all quesitons that I have as well.  To tell you the truth, I wasn't even sure I knew how to do it until Mary told me!!  "Purple dress, pink tights, yellow shoes, and green handbag" was the example she gave me, and I automatically thought "OH! Color MIXING!!"  I'm not sure where the term "blocking" came from, maybe because it's all solid colors - no prints, nor am I positive I'm comfortable enough with many colors to rock this look - and rock it well! 

Seems simple enough - find overtly colorful solid top, different colored pant or skirt, and continue to layer with other bold colors.   Accessories?  With that much color I'm not sure I'd pair accessories  The ladies in the first picture were styled with a gold belt to break up the two complimentary colors, and the clutch is, in my opinion, the way to go when you have that much going on. 

Where to wear it?  I personally do not have a "dress code" at work per say.  But, I wouldn't say it would be office appropriate in most cases.  Maybe if you're an up and coming fashion designer trying to play up your line, or an Adjudicator at the Regional Championships, or North American Nationals this would be appropriate.  A night out with your girlfriends?  Most definitely!!  This look is perfect for a FUN night out on the town.  After all - it SCREAMS fun with all those bold colors.

My personal favorite from the shots above, and definitely more my style - is the beige shirt with gold belt and orange skirt.     

Do you often "color block"?  If so, how do YOU do it?


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love fashion buzz phrases. Colour blocking is definitely one of them. I'd go for pink shorts/jeans, a bright orange jumper, my YSL arty turqouise ring and then offset it all with neutral sandals/bag. xx

    ReplyDelete